Sunday 10 February 2013

It seems like only yesterday


My best friend Lisa and her  9 year old daughter Natasha were killed in a tragic traffic incident in May of 2003.  I think of Lisa often.  I really miss them both.  It reminds me to take every opportunity to say thank you, I love you, I am proud of you, you make a difference in my life.  

For Natasha and Lisa Edey

Natasha

It seems like only yesterday
I saw your pretty face
The little cherub cheeks
And the dimples right in place.

It seems like a few days ago
I heard your laugh so sweet
As you ran about the playground
Or just walked along the street.

It seems like just a week ago
I helped you comb your curls
You dressed up like a princess
Such a pretty little girl.

It seems like one short month ago
I kissed your soft pink cheek
You and Gabi laughed and waved
“I’ll see you just next week”.

It seems like just last summer
We built castles in the sand
We dipped our toes in water
And I held your little hand.

If I close my eyes, then in my mind
You’re still doing all these things.
Only one thing’s changed, in my mind
Now you’re wearing wings.

Ten years have come, ten years have gone
Since last I watched you play
But somehow in my memory
It seems like yesterday.

Lisa:

I Smiled when I thought of you today. You crossed my mind as you often do.   I think of you at the strangest time. Like when I am combing my straight hair.  How you hated those blasted curls.  Or when I am hemming my pants…and you used to use staples.  Today I bought a plant and I thought of your endeavors to grow plants and thinking weeds should count.  I laughed out loud when I told another lady the “stuck in a foreign country story.”  I dug out a song we wrote and tried to sing it to my kids, but it just didn’t quite sound the same as when you and I croaked it out together. I found my eyes, once again welling up, as I smiled…when I thought of you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment