Wednesday 18 April 2012

Trains, That's what makes me Smile


The Train Whistle

My dad was born on a rural Saskatchewan farm in 1922.  His father believed in the “rule by the back of my hand” method of discipline.  My father was often the recipient of the wrath of my grandfather, ne’er to receive a tender touch from the bitter old man.  As a child growing up on the farm during the depression, my father learned quickly how to evade both the belt and the hand.  He remembers clearly taking the blame for a pair of muddy shoes.  His 6 year old little sister had worn them home from school that day and stomped through a mud puddle.  This would be a clear sign that you did not respect your clothing and would certainly result in a willow across the backside.  After the old man taught him to “respect his clothing”, my father ran down the field until the tears stopped running down his cheeks.  He eventually found himself at the railroad track.  He knelt and prayed that God would send a train to take him away.  Each day, as soon as he could get away, he would run to the tracks with the same prayer.  Each night while laying in bed he could hear the old steam engine chugging up the hill and the mournful sound of the whistle echo through the river valley.    He dreamed of all the wonderful places he would go and the people he would meet.  This got my dad through his childhood.

At 21 years old, my dad got his first “real job”.  As a Saskatchewan farm boy, he had arms the size of tree trunks having hoisted thousands of bails of hay.  He was hired to shovel coal into the steam engine.  He had a job, on the train.  This led to a 45 year long career working on trains.

As a little girl, I thought that all children rode trains on the weekends.  As a train engineer you work whenever you are called.  This led to my dad heading for work at all hours of the day and night.  This often led to bedtime without my dad there to give me kisses.  I complained loudly which led to him giving me a kiss each day before he left for work, no matter the time of day or night.  As I grew to be a teenager, I thought the late night kisses would stop.  When I was especially poorly behaved, I didn’t expect him to kiss me, but he did.  Once I moved away to University, again I thought the kisses would stop, but he continued to come into my room and kiss my cheek.  Even if I were awake, I would lay perfectly still, because I was scared that if he knew that I was awake, it would break the magic spell.  I would no longer be his little girl and he would no longer be my daddy.

Having a dad as an engineer had its benefits.  I got to ride on the engine and pull the rope that blew the whistle.  I can still clearly remember the wheat fields waving in the distance through the open window, the smell of ripe canola filling the air, the sound of the steel moving along the tracks.  My dad and his friends laughter filling the air and tell tall tales about the “good old days”.  I remember sitting on my dad’s knee and smelling diesel on the collar of his shirt. 

Eventually, I was too old to sit on his knee and he was too old to drive a train.  Dad retired from the CN, from the train that had indeed taken him away.

In 2004 at 82 ears of age, my dad was laid to rest in a cemetery at the far end of the city, on the other side of the highway, right beside the railroad track.  The same track that ran passed the farm where he grew up and the same track he worked on for all those years.  As we were saying goodbye, some young engineman who knew my dad, “borrowed” a locomotive engine and brought it down to the closest point near the place were my father was being interred.  As the Priest said the final Amen, twenty-one whistles echoed through the crisp morning air.

“Goooooood – Byeeeeeee…..    Gooooooooood  - Byeeeeeeeeee”

Even now, the sound of the train approaching and the unmistakable sound of the train whistle reminds me of the sacrifice, love and stolen midnight kisses of a father and his little girl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment